The fun part of making a cheap kitchen cabinet is that you can make a custom cabinet for yourself. And that also without spending too much money. Isn’t it worth? Yes, you will answer when you know that a few steps can help you make a few new cabinets. And in order to make the cabinets, you have to be familiar with a few products. Along with the know-how, you need a planning. To learn how to make a cheap kitchen cabinet is not a difficult task for you. Let’s get started and you should be ready for the job.
Tools and materials:
- Table saw
- Jigsaw router
- Wood glue
- 1×6 Lumber
- Flathead screws
- Finishing nails
- Wood putty
- Measuring tape
- White paint
- Wood stain
Site of the cabinet:
- The site where you should fit the cabinet should be measured first.
- Clean the place and get ready to work on your cabinets.
Find a shop:
- Find a woodworking store or a home improvement store and get a design template for your kitchen cabinet.
- Measure the wood particle board, made of sawdust and glue formed under intensive pressure, and cut the wood pieces in the desired measurement.
- Using a sand paper, sand all the woods that you bought from the store to make your cabinet smooth and make an even surface for a better look and for a nicer finish.
- If you are using particle board, you need solid wood face frame to provide a better surface for anchoring screws.
- With the help of the design template, frame the pieces of the cabinet and nail the pieces using finishing nails and glue together to retain the strength of your cabinet.
Door of the cabinet:
- A face frame is required to attach the doors to the cabinet, usually the face frame is constructed using 1×6 lumber for a better job or you need solid wood for your cabinet door.
- Drill holes in the face frame and then attach it to the cabinet to ensure that the finishing nails and hinges will go without splitting the particle board.
- The hole to fit the door knob in your cabinet door has to be drilled.
- Apply wood stain or polyurethane finish to the doors and the cabinet frame before attaching the doors to your cabinets.
- Cabinets require two coats, one coat should dry before applying the second coat.
- Then, if you like to paint your cabinet, give one coat of wood stain on your cabinet.
- Allow the stain to dry, sand thoroughly your cabinet frame and the doors in a reasonable time frame, but no more than a day.
- Give a base coat using white paint and dry your cabinet frames and doors.
- Select a color you like for your cabinet doors and paint once for a finish you will love to live with.
- Give some time for the drying process, it could be overnight if you are saving time or allow at least one day before the installation of the cabinets.
- The door knob has to be fitted to the door of your cabinet.
- Attach the cabinet door using the finishing nails and hinges to the cabinet frame.
- Now, you need a wood putty to cover the nail holes after the cabinet door is fixed.
- Cabinets should be placed to the already selected space in your kitchen using studs.
- A kitchen cabinet is ready for your kitchen and it’s made from cheap material.
- With proper maintenance your cheap kitchen cabinet is functional for many years if not decades.